Are Data Centers Complicated? Yes, they are massively complicated and need a hyper-converged Data Centre without a complexity, so how many people does it take to setup?
- 5 Database Admins
- 4 Storage Admins
- 3 Network Admins
- 5 Design and Build Consultants
- 2 Hardware Vendors
- 3 Software Vendors
But, when it comes to Oracle MiniCluster…
- None of the above, Just one!!! And it’s us. Also, it’s simple, user-friendly interface, Plug and play.
Time from concept to Functioning?
- Months? Weeks? Days? No, just hours.
Why choose Oracle Engineered System?
- Oracle engineered systems take infrastructure optimization to the next level. They’re architected, integrated, tested, and optimized to work together. What’s more, they’re co-engineered with Oracle software for a level of cloud-ready integration and Oracle Database performance that generic systems cannot match.
What is Oracle S7-2?
- Oracle’s SPARC S7-2 is a server which provides extreme per-core efficiency for cloud applications and engineered systems, plus dramatic acceleration of data analytics implemented in its scale-out infrastructure. Here in MiniCluster it has two SPARC S7-2 servers from Oracle with up to two storage shelves per system.
Introduction to Oracle MiniCluster S7-2
Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 is a simple and efficient engineered system designed to run enterprise databases and applications with uncompromising security. It is ideal to run applications where security is a must, like, financial transaction processing, legal and medical records, secure communications, mission-critical enterprise resource planning (ERP) applications and more.
Tools provided with Oracle MiniCluster automate the deployment of Oracle Database and Oracle RAC software components, setting up virtual machines (VMs), making it easier to manage security and compliance, and deploying system patches. Numerous security controls are built in, which helps to simplify secure configurations to meet DISA-STIG, PCI-DSS, and other security benchmarks.
Turn-key Database and Application Machine
It includes compute, storage, virtualization, operating system, and management components. Its simplicity, out-of-the-box performance, proven reliability, and small form factor make it an excellent choice for deployments in remote offices and small business locations or for agile software development (DevOps) environments.
Virtual Assistant & Virtual Tuning Assistant
MiniCluster Virtual Assistant is a preinstalled management software, which is also called as the brain of the product. (Comes in free of cost with the product). It really simplifies day to day tasks that DBAs do.
- Security & compliance controls
- Full-system patching
- Oracle RAC and Single Instance
- Oracle Database deployment
- Application VM provisioning
- Automatic performance tuning
- System health checks
Virtual Tuning Assistant (Mctuner)
- Monitors the system and provides alerts if any best practices are violated
- Proactively makes changes as appropriate to ensure best practices are preserved
- Backs up metadata to prevent accidental corruption
Oracle Solaris 11 is the required base operating system for Oracle MiniCluster although Oracle Solaris 10 branded virtual machines also can be used. Oracle Solaris 11 is certified by Common Criteria at the EAL 4+ level with Operating System Protection Profile (OSPP) including Label Security and Virtualization.
Virtualization on Oracle MiniCluster divides the resources of the system to simulate multiple machines and OSs. Each VM is dedicated to the programs running inside. VMs are isolated, providing a secure environment for running applications and databases.
There are two types of VMs:
- DB VM – A virtual machine that contains the Oracle Database running in the Oracle Solaris OS.
- App VM – A virtual machine that contains the Oracle Solaris OS and any applications that you choose to install.
This illustration shows an example of how the VMs are logically arranged.
Compute & Storage
MCMU automatically assigns each VM the appropriate amount of storage based on the configuration of the VM. MiniCluster includes six HDDs in each node, and one or two storage arrays.
Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 integrates all-flash storage for databases. For this reason, it is well suited for highly concurrent online transaction processing (OLTP) applications and real-time analytics.
This figure represents how the storage is arranged
The integrated security controls can be activated and configured with the push of a button to deliver compliance-ready security posture for DISA-STIG, PCI-DSS or CIS equivalent security benchmarks through a single menu selection. Its industry’s most advanced wide-key cryptographic acceleration provides end-to-end network and data encryption with virtually no performance cost.
Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 dramatically simplifies and accelerates day-to-day operations and security management, eliminating the need for specialized system administration skills and training.
Dedicated Compute Cloud Deployment
In the cloud deployment scenario, the cloud service provider establishes a secure connection to the Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 systems hosted in the dedicated compute cloud service zone by using a site-to-site VPN or secure IPSec tunnel between the VPN gateway and the VPN gateway installed in the organization’s data center. Oracle MiniCluster S7-2-deployed virtual machines can leverage preconfigured IPSec/IKE-based communication channels with their peers.
Typical deployment of Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 in an Oracle dedicated compute cloud environment
Wide Range of Needs:
- 100% application and database compatibility. Incredible performance suitable for practically every type of application built on Oracle Database.
- Right size and price-point for the mass market: fits a huge number of customer workloads and budgets.
- If security is key for your business then Oracle MiniCluster S7-2 is the solution. Provides the strongest and easiest end-to-end security of any comparable system from any vendor.
- Runs any combination of Oracle Database versions from 11gR2 onward using any Oracle Database license type on the same system at the same time. Oracle Enterprise Edition and Oracle Standard Edition databases are supported.
- No installation or training services required for implementation, patching, or day-to-day operations of the system.
- It eliminates the effort and guesswork by automatically implementing, monitoring, and tuning system settings.
- High Availability design with a push-button operation is ideal for remote or branch offices with limited local IT staff.
- Provides DevOps agility without compromising on application performance, reliability, security or cost for software developers and DBAs.
- Drastically lowers your Oracle Database and Fusion Middleware license costs when compared to other generic systems on the market.
- No Solaris OS or system administration skills are required for Oracle database deployments, and yet avail all the Software in Silicon features of Oracle SPARC processors.
About the Author:
– T A Hadley
I’ve been an Oracle Consultant (Oracle Apps DBA/GoldenGate Admin/MiniCluster DBA) for the past four years. I’ve loved this technology for my entire life. I’ve been lucky enough to work for 4i Apps Solutions Pvt. Ltd and now I’m a beginner in blogging.
Share this post